Monday, February 11, 2013

'Take a 99er to Work Day' a Huge Success, Labor Department Says



WASHINGTON D.C.—Following in the footsteps of the private sector's popular "Take Your Child to Work Day," the federal government today urged its employees to bring a hopelessly unemployed friend or relative to work with them to remind them how it feels to put in a hard day at the office.

"All in all, it was a rousing success," said acting Secretary of Labor Seth D. Harris. "Over half a million government employees and their long-unemployed companions took part in this exciting program."

Sabrina Foulkes, 46, who was laid off from her job as a receptionist nearly two years ago, agreed with Mr. Harris' assessment.

"It was okay," she said. "At first, I had trouble adjusting to light and sound that wasn't emanating from my television. But after that, it was fine. I shadowed my sister [Senior File Clerk] Judy [Saunders] on the ninth floor. By the time the first break rolled around, I was capable of doing the jobs of both her and her supervisor flawlessly. I wish they were hiring."

Greg Matthews, 49, a construction superintendent out of work since mid-2011, saw things differently.

"These oil paintings have jobs and I don't?" Matthews asked incredulously, surveying cubicle after cubicle of nearly-stationary humans with highly-secure, taxpayer-funded employment. "My God, they wouldn't last five minutes in the real world.

"For 30 years of my life," Matthews continued, "I worked harder every day than any of these bloated wastes of oxygen ever worked in a month. But they're earning a decent paycheck and I'm not. Amazing. All I want to do is get out there and get a few blisters on my hands, but nobody's building. With all the regulation and uncertainty out there, I can't blame them. But still. What's a guy to do?"

At press time, President Obama was unavailable for comment.