Sunday, February 17, 2013

Man's Sophisticated Taste in Beer Not Hiding Alcoholism



LAS VEGAS, NV—Despite retaining an encyclopedia-like knowledge of brewing, and, in particular, extremely rare craft beers, Roger Conner, 44, of Las Vegas has failed to mask his alcoholism from friends, family, and complete strangers.

"It's amazing, the stuff he knows," noted long-suffering sister, Laura, 41. "Like the exact amount of hops that go into a certain type of beer, and at which point in the brewing process you should add them. He'll come over and talk about beer for hours. Then he usually asks for money."

Roger's best friend of two decades, Travis Dunn, offers even more insight.

"Roger's always been a bit of a beer snob," Travis said with a grin. "I guess it was all the time he spent stationed in Germany, getting spoiled by the beer and the women. He won't touch the 'swill' most of our friends drink. He'll go on and on about how some microbrewery in Henderson has perfected an India Pale Ale to the point it doesn't have even a hint of aftertaste. Then he'll puke on my brand new slacks. But, hey. That's Roger!"

Keith Morrison, 24, a frequent patron of McElroy's Pub on Vegas' famed Strip, had a different take on Roger.

"The guy's a total dick," Morrison opined, holding a bloody bar rag to his forehead. "One minute he's talking about some kind of ale monks brewed in 1554, the next he's screaming in my face that I screwed some chick he dated like twenty years ago. I was like, 'What the hell dude? I was four.' Then he hit me over the head with an eighteen-dollar bottle of cream lager from Latvia. I could taste it as it dripped down my face."

"You know what?" Morrison said, licking his lips. "That lager isn't half bad. I'll have to splurge for one next time I come in."