Friday, January 25, 2013

Congress Approves Ban on Mentioning Harbaugh Brothers Until After Super Bowl



NEW ORLEANS, LA—In an attempt to deter the violence that occurs every year when the public is bombarded with two straight weeks of football-related human-interest stories leading up to the Super Bowl, Congress agreed today on a moratorium that prohibits any mention of the fact that San Francisco 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh and Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh are brothers.

"I swear to God," Niners fan Steven Winchell said at the Waterfront Pub and Grill in San Francisco. "I'm a Niners fan, through and through. But if I hear one more commentator mention that those guys are brothers, I'll shoot someone in the face."

"I'm a mild-mannered guy," Winchell added. "But I'll go right out that door, find a shady-looking character, have him track down a gun for me, buy said gun at an undoubtedly insanely marked-up price, then cap the first person I see. Right in the damn face."

Similar threats of violence, and unfortunately, real violence, occurred in 2006 during the lead-up to Super Bowl XL between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Seattle Seahawks. For two solid weeks, the fact that the game was to be played in Detroit and that beloved Steelers running back Jerome Bettis, a native of Detroit, was to retire after the game, ran on a continuous loop in every conceivable media outlet.

The resultant riots claimed 27,349 lives and caused over $350 billion dollars in property damage nationally.