Monday, January 21, 2013

Chief Justice Roberts Accidentally Swears in Mitt Romney



WASHINGTON, D.C.—In a gaffe reminiscent of his infamous word-stumbling at President Obama's 2009 inauguration, Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts today swore in Mitt Romney as the nation's 45th President.

"I can't believe I screwed up again," Justice Roberts said, drink in hand, at the lavish post-inaugural ball celebrating President Romney's unexpected victory. "First the word-switch thing with Obama four years ago, then voting wrong on the constitutionality of the healthcare bill, and now this," Roberts said, smacking the side of his head. "Doy!"

President Romney and First Lady Ann Romney, who made a last-minute decision to attend what was presumed to be former President Obama's second inauguration, were graciously given front row seats by former First Lady Michelle Obama. When former President Obama failed to show up ten, then fifteen, then twenty minutes after the scheduled start of the ceremony, however, confusion set in.

"I felt I had to do something," Justice Roberts said. "I mean, people were getting antsy, myself included. Then I looked down and saw Mitt and Ann, and, well, he's so presidential-looking and I knew she'd make a fine First Lady, so I figured, 'What the hell,' you know?"

As a baffled crowd of over half a million looked on, Roberts had former Governor Romney join him on the dais, put his hand on a Bible, and recite the thirty-five word affirmation that made him President of the United States.

"Thankfully," Roberts said, "I got the words right, and in the right order. Phew! That was a close one. Am I right, America?"