Friday, June 21, 2013

Obama Declares Monopoly Money Legal Tender



WASHINGTON, D.C.—In a move designed to increase cash flow in a sluggish economy, President Barack Obama today proclaimed that the previously fake, unusable bills included with the popular board game Monopoly are now legal for use in all fifty states.

"Let me be clear," President Obama said in front of the press corps. "I came up with this idea a while back when I heard that the good people at Hasbro had decided to replace their 'iron' game piece with a 'cat' game piece. Personally, I would have chosen a larger, more athletic dog. They're so tasty, er, loyal.

"In any event, as I continue to try and grow the economy by hook or by crook, I've decided that allowing people to use Monopoly money is a simple, effective way to induce consumers to spend more, thereby stimulating the economy. Many Americans already own Monopoly games, be they the original edition or one of the countless spinoffs. It's a simple matter of opening your closet, dusting off the box, and helping yourself to thousands of dollars worth of tiny, colorful bills."

When asked if just dumping paper money into the system would lead to an increase in inflation, Obama didn't seem too concerned.

"I'll see what happens, then evaluate the consequences of my actions somewhere down the road," the president said with a smile. "So far, as per usual, everyone tells me it's a great idea. And if it works out, I'll legalize the use of the money from the game of Life. Imagine how fair things will be when everyone has a fistful of $100,000 bills!"