Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Obama Commemorates September 11th


WASHINGTON, D.C.—In a solemn, little-reported speech this afternoon, President Barack Obama took time out from a busy day to address a small group gathered in the shadow of the Washington Monument.

"Let me be clear," the president said at a podium just feet from the Reflecting Pool. "I'm standing here with you today because September 11th is indeed a day for reflecting. Every single American has been touched by this particular calendar date, myself included."

After pausing a moment for polite applause, Mr. Obama continued.

"Take September 11, 1961, for instance. I was a mere five weeks old and not yet empowered with the motor skills that would allow me to impart my charismatic brand of genius upon the simple denizens of this then-backward nation. The country would have to wait nearly fifty years for my leadership. Truly tragic."

While the gape-mouthed crowd stared at him in disbelief, Mr. Obama went on.

"And who could forget September 11, 1966? It was my first day of school, and Billy Kalamea, fully twice my size, pushed me to the asphalt on the playground and stole my lunch. A catastrophe for myself, the state of Hawaii, and America as a whole."

President Obama mentioned a dozen other horrific incidents that occurred on September 11th, including in 1982, when his trusted dealer shorted him on a dime-bag, 1994, when he was involved in a fender-bender with an uninsured motorist, and 2001, when he and Michelle engaged in a heated argument over the quality of her broccoli casserole.

"She wouldn't talk to me for a week," Mr. Obama added, chuckling and checking his hair in the Reflecting Pool. "It was a difficult time for all, yet we pulled together and managed to get through it."
 
At press time, President Obama was on the phone in the Oval Office wishing President Bashar al-Assad of Syria a happy 48th birthday.